Sunday, December 6, 2009

Self-inviting friends who invite unwanted guests?

Hope this makes sense! One of my (clueless) best friends invited a married couple on an annual weekend trip a few years back without even asking me (I organize the trip.) This couple has been coming on the trip ever since. This couple has also been know to self-invite and they usually self-invite through someone else. They get a closer friend to ask if they can come. I have grown to like them more and consider them friends because as long as my best friend is in my life they will also be in my life. Now, this married couple is trying to invite friends of theirs that I barely know to the trip. They have not asked me if they could come - they have only said the new couple wants to come. I feel like a witch saying the new couple can't come, but I also don't want to spend my weekend, that I worked hard to plan, with uninvited guests...that I barely know. How do I tell the self-inviters they are not welcome to invite their unwanted friends?



Self-inviting friends who invite unwanted guests?myspace live





I would just say that I am happy with the current "mix of people" and would rather not include anyone new.



Self-inviting friends who invite unwanted guests?coolest myspace myspace.com



You need to lose some friends. Go dark. That is, cut your lines of communication with all of them. If you run into any of them and they ask why-then "TELL" them why. It is okay to tell people you want to be alone.
Maybe you can say: "that's great that we're inviting others, three couples I know have asked me if it's OK for them to join too and I said to them that it seems Ok to get a bunch of people to join in but I thought it would only be fair to ask our own "little group" first, since it's really the right thing to do. What do you guys think?" and that should fix the situation. IF they agree for your three (imaginary) couples to come, you can always say later that you thought about how unreasonable it would be for you guys to share your weekend with people you don't know and that you really don't want to open this trip up like an open house, so you decided to tell them that this particular trip isn't open to others, but that we can plan another trip.
Explain your feelings to them. No one will ever know what you are thinking or feeling if you do not tell them. Be kind and gentle, but firm. Tell them if they want to take a trip with the other people, they are welcome to plan one on their own, but this one is yours, and you decide who can go.
These people have imposed themselves on you without a care for your feelings or space. The only way to prevent it is to be blunt and assertive. And don't you dare feel the slightest bit guilty for doing what you have to do to put these clods in their place!
You don't owe anyone any explanation. It is your trip, and you can invite who you please. I would say something to the effect of: "Oh, I wouldn't feel comfortable inviting people I don't know, but I sure don't want YOU to miss the fun of having them. I completely understand if you would prefer to organize your own trip to include them".
Tell them in a nice way that having an extra couple is not your idea of a fun weekend trip.
Well, since this has been going on for a few years, I don't think it's your weekend anymore. You should have said something from the beginning. Now, it's simply an annual get-together that lots of people want to attend.



Let them know that from now on, each couple will be in charge of something. You won't do all the work and planning, and will no longer provide the lodging (if you have been.) When they realize it won't be a free for all, they might not want to attend.



If all else fails, start over. Plan a new weekend getaway with just your closest friends. Tell the others you aren't having the usual getaway this year.
let them organize the weekend and you all don't go he he he he he he
Say, "how nice of you to think of your friends, but making all the arrangements for so many people is getting just too time consuming." I thought it could just be ... this trip." If they want to include someone else, then it is up to them to make the arrangements, and most people will not go to that much trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
education loans